Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Price I Pay for a Good Haircut

Being the good mama that I am, I had hair appointments for C-Man and Little I at the end of this week so that they will look handsome for Easter.

C-Man's haircut was a no-brainer. He needed a trim so that he can continue to grow it out again. He misses his longer hair (and I do too). Because my sister is our stylist he was able to walk across the street to her house and get a nice trim.
Little I, however, is a different story. We went back to see Tony yesterday. He's the barber who gave Little I his great triangles several weeks back. Anyway, here's how it went...

I left our house with all 3 boys at 4:05 in order to (hopefully) get to the shop on time. We pulled in the parking lot at 4:32 for a 4:30 appointment. We all unloaded, no doubt being watched on the TV inside the shop. (Yes, there are security cameras in the parking lot). The building has bars on the front door and the windows are all covered. We made it in and I noticed the sign propped up on the floor by the front desk area. "No children allowed unless they are receiving services." OOPS--I broke that rule.

We made our way over to the chairs where we would patiently wait our turn. I politely told Tony Little I had arrived for his 4:30 appointment and we began our wait. Things to do while we waited:
Watch BET (all kid-friendly shows--HA!)
Talk to each other
Notice that Tony is finished with the guy in the chair---YAY!!!
OOPS--too late--a teenage boy and his younger brother snuck in before us saying that they had called for a 4:30 appointment. Tony said, "No. I have Little I down for an appointment, but I'll go ahead and take care of you guys now." ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Wait some more

2 police officers enter the shop (where there are 27-30 people) and ask if there was anyone named Kevin, Cam, or Cameron there. Everyone got quiet when they walked in. Did I mention that up until this point C-Man and I were the only 2 white people? Now there were 4 of us, but I would've preferred to have NOT been associated to these 2 jerks! The officers stood there at the front of the shop looking at all the people. After about 4-5 minutes one officer walked over to a gentleman sitting near us and said, "What's your name?" The gentleman told him his name was Ollie. He asked Ollie if he had any ID on him. Ollie didn't. Then the officer asked if he ever went by Kevin or Cam or Cameron. Ollie didn't. He asked how to spell his name. The gentleman spelled his name just as clearly as anyone else who'd had their name for 45 or more years. The officer at this point walked back by his partner. After a couple more minutes they decided to make one more statement before leaving. "Thanks for all you help." As soon as they were gone, the chatting and laughing began. I can't say that I blame them. They were just going about their day-to-day business and were ALL treated as if they'd done something wrong.

All I can think about now is that my sweet Little I will most likely experience this hatred someday! What you won't be able to tell by looking at him is that he was raised in a loving family who've taught him how to be a responsible citizen as well as a godly young man. You can't know what a person is like by looking at them!

Little I finally sat down in Tony's chair at 5:30. By the time he was finished at 6, we only had time to drive-thru for dinner on our way to church.

I'm not sure we'll be going back to Tony's shop again. He gives an incredible haircut, but I don't know that I want to go through all of that again.

No comments: