Friday, January 29, 2010

Come On Down

Today we're having a relaxed day at home, thanks to the ice/snow storm. We did not lose power and I'm loosening the reins a bit on our TV viewing. After Sesame Street, I changed the station to our local CBS station to see what the weather was doing and The Price is Right was on. C-Man asked me to leave it on since the current contestant shared his first name.

Every time I watch this show a flood of memories/emotions comes over me.

When I was quite young I used to spend a great amount of time with my Aunt Lula. She was my great-aunt who lived in the town where I grew up. She never had children of her own, but treated me and my sisters like granddaughters. We LOVED our time with her.

For some odd reason every time I was with her I developed a bad cough. OK, it was really because she ALWAYS had Luden's Wild Cherry Throat Drops with her & they're delicious. When I was at her house, daytime TV was always on. We watched Bob Barker together. She also watched her soaps. I don't remember which soaps she watched, but I can still hear the dramatic theme music. She colored with me and taught me how to color in circles so that you don't get those awful lines on your masterpiece.

Bob Barker was also a staple at my home when I stayed home from school because I was sick or tired. Yes, my mom was nice enough to let me stay home when I was tired. I have suffered from anemia off and on throughout my life, which can really drain you. So, during those restful days at home I would do my best to win all the prizes that Bob's Beauties were displaying.

So I guess I'm hoping that by allowing my kids to watch The Price is Right, they'll eventually remember that not every day was filled with me barking out orders about getting school work completed and bedrooms cleaned. (By the way, I am asking God daily to help me not bark out orders so much, but I'm a work in progress).

Well, they've called the last contestant for the day ("Come on down, you're the next contestant on The Price is Right") so I guess I should get down off of this bar stool and make some real memories with my kids.

No comments: