Thursday, March 19, 2009

Baby Wipes Recipe

I mentioned to Cowboy this evening that we were running low on baby wipes, which usually never happens because I buy in bulk at Sam's Club. (Remember my love for Sam's Club?) However, I've been making a concerted effort to not overspend lately, which means I've been looking for bargains and using coupons.

When I told Cowboy about running low on wipes, he said, "Why don't you make some homemade baby wipes?" I thought briefly about this and decided, yes, I could make my own baby wipes. I haven't done this since Miss B and C-Man were babies. I knew I had the ingredients on hand, so I went for it.

If you're ever interested, here's the recipe:

Baby Wipes
1/2 roll Bounty paper towels
2 cups water
2 T baby bath
2 T baby oil

Cut roll of paper towels in half. (I use an electric knife for this). Remove cardboard roll from the center. Place the towels in a storage container (mine is a very old Rubbermaid 10 cup round container that they apparently no longer make). Mix water, baby bath, and baby oil together and pour over paper towels. Remove wipes from the center of the roll.

The beauty of homemade baby wipes is that you can use whatever baby products you would normally use on your little one. For example, if you're an Arbonne or Burt's Bees fan, you can now use these same gentle products to wipe your baby's chubby, dimpled tush at changing time.

I originally got this recipe almost 18 years ago when I worked at a daycare in the infant room the summer after my freshman year of college. One of the moms made these wipes for her sweet little Jacqueline, who is graduating from high school somewhere this year. I'm so OLD! The wipes smelled SO good and were so gentle. I fell in love with them and her mom typed the recipe onto a cute little recipe card. I've held onto that card all these years.

Happy wiping!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK-- I'm totally sold on the idea! But you're in trouble now because you've got me started on a Quest to find that 10-cup tub & lid (which Rubbermaid no longer makes?)... how long do you think that'll take me? LOL.

Thanks for sharing!