Saturday, March 28, 2009

Proof That God LOVES Me!

It's been one of those crazy weeks! You know the kind...I'd felt LOUSY for days due to this ridiculous cold I've had, I'd felt a heavy burden for one of my friends, Cowboy turned 38, and well, you know...life in general. Anyway, I opened the pantry door for something and what caught my eye?



Do you notice the dark brown thing on the top right--below the cobweb? It called out my name. I'm not very tall and don't remember seeing it before, but I had to know what it was.

Well...

I immediately checked the expiration date and was SO relieved to see I still had time.


I very selfishly thought, "Thank you, God. I needed chocolate today." Then, my munchkins smelled the candy in the air. So...I did what any good homeschooling mom does, I used candy to quiz them about the history I was reading to them. We've been learning about the reconstruction of our nation after our Civil War and about the many changes to our nation after this war.

C-Man and I were reading about a contest that was held for the best tenement plan for NYC in the early 1900's. The $500 prizewinner's plan was called the dumbbell plan because of its shape. They thought it was this incredible plan to safely house more people in a small amount of space which would be airy and filled with light. HUGE mistake--the buildings were built right next to each other, with only 28 inches in between them. No privacy, a great amount of stink, huge fire dangers, and little light! Using the Tootsie Roll wrappers we were able to recreate the dumbbell tenements and rearrange them in a way that would have been safer and healthier for the people living in them.

When C-Man's in architect school someday at OSU I'll bring him Tootsie Rolls to help him on his projects. He'll be so appreciative!

No comments: