Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Discipline is Painful

OK, today has not been a great day. It started off beautifully with all 4 children sleeping long enough for me to get ready, make my bed, and have some quiet time. During my quiet time today I pulled out some books I haven't read or worked through in a while. One of them is Speaking mom-ese by Lisa Whelchel and the other is Every Child Needs a Praying Mom by Fern Nichols. Can you tell what my struggles are today (and every other day recently)? I'm really struggling to be the mother God called me to be. Recently I've felt like every ball that I'm supposed to keep in the air has fallen to the ground on another planet in a galaxy that hasn't even been discovered yet. I can't even keep the simplest things going. [']

So...back to my day. God really spoke to me through Lisa Whelchel today. I love her, by the way. He reminded me that my struggles with my kids are just a reflection of my struggles with sin in my own life. I will spare you the details of my own sin. It's UGLY, as all sin it. But, God is so good to love me and get me out of the muck of sin I'm in!

Well, the kids woke up, we had a fairly peaceful breakfast. Then we headed out the door for a 45-minute orthodontic appointment, off to meet our adoption attorney to get him paid, to the chiropractor for adjustments, and finally home for a lunch that NO ONE appreciated. School was even less appreciated today, by everyone but me. I'm actually enjoying reading about Abraham Lincoln. My children decided to not speak kindly to each other today which caused me to not want to speak kindly to them! We've argued, disciplined, hugged, screamed, cried, had a bloody nose and it's only 3 in the afternoon.

Here's the verse my family is memorizing this week:
"No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening--it is painful! But afterward there will be a quiet harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way." Hebrews 12:11 NLT

Well, what I'm going through is PAINFUL! It is also painful to discipline my kids. But I'm trusting God's Word to be true. I'm excited for my family to reap "a quiet harvest of right living".

No comments: