Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A Great Legacy, Part 1



Monday my sweet grandparents celebrated their birthdays. Grandpa celebrated 82 and Grandma celebrated 76. I have neglected to visit my grandparents like I should so I decided to take a little road trip with Miss B, C-Man, and Little I. Knowing that our time with Grandpa & Grandma on earth is getting shorter I decided to let my kids do a little video project. Sunday evening they wrote out some questions to ask their great-grandparents. They needed a little bit of coaching, but not much. We printed the questions and got the video camera and tripod ready to take with us. I got up yesterday and threw together a casserole to take for lunch. We stopped by Wal-Mart and finished shopping for their food basket we took. Then we listened to Christmas music and the Camp Rock CD on the way to their town.
They were overjoyed to see us and get to spend some time with us. We had a fantastic visit and had over 30 minutes of video when it was all said and done.
I'll post thoughts from my grandparents in the future. For today...

C-Man's favorite thing he found out about his great-grandparents:
Grandpa grew up on a farm and often got in trouble with his younger brother when they didn't come home as soon as their chore were done. Grandpa told C-Man that there were always snakes to kill, skunks to trap, and squirrels to hunt. One day he & his brother were remembering how they didn't want to get in trouble by being late, but they spotted a snake going up a tree. They couldn't resist! He boosted his brother up one side of the tree for his brother to make the kill. Then, the snake came down the other side. Grandpa told us he got his stick and smacked that snake. He killed it! His poor little brother didn't get the kill that day.
I suspect C-Man liked this story because it had a lethal weapon, a disgusting animal, and the big brother won! Boys are still the same as they were 70+ years ago.

No comments: