Friday, December 12, 2008

My Grandpa

My mom brought me an envelope full of pictures of my sweet cousin, J. My grandpa had sent her the envelope to share some pictures with my friend. (More on my cousin J. later). Back to the envelope. Mom pointed out that Grandpa spelled her name wrong. She seemed to handle it better than I did. She did, however, say, "My Dad's been spelling my name for over 58 years and he's never spelled it wrong."
After that I tried to remember all the wonderful things about my grandpa. When my parents started dating my mom's parents were not Christians. My Dad at that point already had a ministry calling on his life. Grandpa told my Mom that she was not allowed to date that Preacher Boy. Well...the Holy Spirit did quite a work on my Grandpa. Grandpa became very ill and got to the point that he begged to have that Preacher Boy come pray with him. This was the point in my Grandpa's life that he became a Christian. My Grandma followed his lead.
I'm blessed to only remember my Grandpa as a sweet, Godly man. I have memories of him spending time in God's Word first thing every morning. I remember him working on his Sunday school lesson throughout the week. His worn Bible was always sitting out close to wherever he was, whether at work or home.
Stories have been told about times before Grandpa came to know God. I prefer not to hear about harsh, demanding words he spoke. This new, changed man is the only Grandpa I know and I'm so grateful for that.
Grandpa & Grandma are lacking a lot financially. Prescriptions, utilities, etc. are sometimes hard for them to cover. For Christmas Cowboy & I have given them groceries or money in the past. But I know without a doubt that this life on earth is going to seem like nothing when they're feasting in heaven with Jesus. Grandpa will have nuts to eat (which are usually too expensive here on earth) and Grandma will have all the donuts, Oreos, chocolate covered cherries and other sweets she loves (but doesn't have extra money to indulge in here on earth).
When my grandparents go home I will miss them dearly, but I KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that I will spend forever with them praising our mighty God.

No comments: