Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Double Whammie

The following story is VERY true and is one of the many reasons that my sweet Cowboy and I want our children to not suffer through dating the way we did. I recently heard someone explain dating as "practicing for divorce". Although originally I was confused by his statement, I thought about it and it eventually made sense. On with the story...

It was the summer of 1988 and a once skinny, now bulkier blonde haired hunk of a teenager was experiencing a newfound confidence with his new muscles. He was dating cute girls left and right, and also catching the eyes of others he didn't even know. Even though the dates were fun, he was blowing through WAY too much money on all these girls. He had a new idea. Why not take these girls to the dollar movie instead of the more expensive movie theater and then skip dinner altogether? It sounded like a good idea to him so he gave it a shot.

The movie went well, then she said she was hungry. What was a boy raised by a fine mama supposed to do? The only logical solution came to him. He pulled into the 7-Eleven and told her he was going to get some dinner and she could get some if she'd like. He got himself a "Double Whammie" and a Mt. Dew and she, surprisingly, decided she didn't want any food after all. She decided, instead, that he should probably just take her home.

I don't remember if Cowboy ever told me who that girl was, but I do know that once I had the guts to have our friends set us up (a few months after he caught my eye that same summer at our neighborhood pool) he never once asked me to pay for any date we ever had. He willingly took me to the nicest restaurants and the nice movie theaters. Love will do that to a cheapskate-at-heart-handsome-blue-eyed-boy.

I love that man! (Even if he still sometimes eats Double Whammies from 7-Eleven).

No comments: