Thursday, February 12, 2009

Never in a Million Years

My mission trip continues. Apparently, there were no flights out today so I'm staying at least an extra day.

Tonight I'm experiencing something totally new and surprising. I'm not only sleeping in a hospital room with a little guy who's still mostly disinterested in food, and has beeping monitors, but tonight I'm sharing this tiny room with said little boy's grandmother.

Did someone in the crowd say, "Awkward!" You nailed it! Weird is another word that would correctly describe this situation. Never in a million years would I have guessed that our plans to foster parent would have landed me in this situation.

Without divulging too much information, let me tell you how this came to be. NoBo's family is encouraged to spend time with him, even at the hospital. I'm not sure which one of them came up with the brilliant idea of the grandmother being the one to stay overnight with him, though. His grandmother thinks on a similar level as my dear cousin, J., who has Down Syndrome. Does that shed some light on the situation?

So far she's almost let him fall out of the tall hospital crib onto his head. She's watched him throw a bottle and a toy out of the crib and not gone to pick them up. She's sitting in the chair that turns into a "bed". She didn't know how to turn on the TV with the remote. She has silently played peek-a-boo with him while he's trying to go to sleep and then whispered in that loud whisper that only a mentally challenged person has, "Noah, go to sleep!" I'm trying so hard not to laugh my head off!

I'm completely unsure of where or how I'm going to sleep tonight, but she told me she normally stays up until 1 and sleeps until 11. Good times, people! Good times!

The good news is that she really loves NoBo. She just smiles at him all the time.

I hope I'm smiling in the morning!

No comments: