Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My Mission Trip

You may not know it, but I'm currently on a mission trip. It wasn't planned, but here I am trying to show the love of Jesus where He's sent me. What far-off, exotic land have I traveled to? Children's Hospital in OKC! That's right, it's not far-off or exotic, but it is most definitely a mission trip.

Sweet NoBo, who I'm trying to avoid making eye contact with right now so he'll nap, came down with the stomach crud Saturday morning at 1:45. Cowboy took him the the ER Saturday morning because we were so worried about NoBo losing anymore weight. The poor guy was already so tiny, we didn't want to risk letting him get any smaller. The Dr. at the ER said he wasn't dehydrated and to just do our best to keep liquids in him. By Sunday evening we could see that we were not making any progress so Cowboy took him in to the ER again. This time they gave him some fluids through an IV. They returned home Monday morning around 3.

Monday afternoon NoBo was set to have an appointment with his pediatrician at 3, but he was acting extremely lethargic and I was getting worried. I called the pediatrician and was told to take him to Children's ER. After about 7 hours in the ER, NoBo was admitted. DHS workers were kind enough to stay that first night with him. I stayed all day and night last night. As of this morning, he's still losing weight. He's staying here for the unforeseen future. His weight has to come back up and his gag relfex has to take a chill pill and let him keep down every calorie he takes in!

I was whining a little to my friend, Mrs. Supersize (not because she's big, but because she has a BIG heart for God & kids and her family is SUPERSIZED!) about not spending adequate time caring for others in my life right now and she reminded me that if I went on a mission trip I would leave my family behind and they would be well-loved by others. She told me to just think of this time in the hospital as a mission trip.

So...I'm trying my best to stay focused on the task God has placed before me. I am NoBo's foster mom to help him become big and strong and to give him an enormous amount of love. Thank you to everyone who is caring for my family while I'm on my mission trip. :)

Here's the scripture I'm meditating on today to keep my focus:

James 1:27
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That verse sums it all up right there, Jenn. You are doing a great job so don't be hard on yourself. This little guy is going to have a much better chance at life because of what you and your family are doing for him. Just remember that!!