Sunday, January 25, 2009

1 Thessalonians 5:19-22

"Do not put out the spirit's fire. Do not treat prophecies with contempt. Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil."
1 Thessalonians 5:19-22

Oops--I forgot to be accountable to anyone reading this to let you know what my family was memorizing last week. Again, God helped my Diet Coke-disabled brain retain a bit of His Word. However, some in our family had a hard time with this one, so we're working on it again this week. (Girls rocked on this one!)

Here's a bit of information to let you know that Cowboy and I are truly crazy...

We were discussing the "avoid every kind of evil" part of these verses with our kids when Miss B gave our family devotion using this scripture. Something that we've felt a strong conviction about is really monitoring what we allow into our thoughts through media. Cowboy and I decided quite a while ago to not see rated R movies. We felt like by eliminating rated R movies we could really undo some of our minds' tendencies to think and focus on things that aren't pure. For me it's something easy to eliminate. With the way my thoughts go, it's good that I can eliminate something. There are enough other things in life that take my thoughts off of things that are good, pure, lovely, and worthy of praise.

Just another bit of God's Word to tuck away in our hearts to use on a rainy day when the enemy attacks.

No comments: