Friday, January 16, 2009

Pasta E Fagioli


OK, I know a few people were waiting for my feedback on this copycat recipe I tried Tuesday. Because it was a co-op day, I was happy to try a new slowcooker recipe.

Cowboy LOVED it. As you can hopefully tell by the picture (even though my camera nor my photography skills are very good) it is a meatier recipe than the Olive Garden version. Meatier is better according to Cowboy.

So here's what I did.
Ingredients
1 1/2 pound ground beef
1 small onion
1 large carrot julienned
3 stalks celery chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
2 cans diced tomatoes - 14 1/2 oz each
1 can red kidney beans - 15 oz(with liquid)
1 can great northern beans - 15 oz(with liquid)
1 can tomato sauce - 15 oz
3 cans beef broth - 10 oz each
1 can V-8 juice - 12 oz
1 T white vinegar
1 1/2 t salt
1 t oregano
1 t basil
1/2 t freshly-ground black pepper
1/2 t thyme
1/2 pound pasta (I used mini shells, but the recipe called for ditali)
Instructions
Brown beef, drain, and add to slowcooker with everything except pasta.
Cook on low for 7-8 hours (or high 4-5 hours).
During last hour add pasta (or during last 30 minutes on high).

What I loved:
1. It was not a mushy, one flavor dish at the end like some slowcooker recipes I've tried. You could still taste the distinct flavors of the beans, for example. My munchkins, who aren't big soup eaters, were more than willing to get seconds on it. (You could probably even throw some pureed carrots in for an extra dose of veggies).
2. All the prep work was done the night before and my Crockpot insert was placed in the fridge with the lid on it until Tuesday just before we walked out the door. I then placed it in the cooking part of the Crockpot (don't know the technical terms) as we were walking out the door to have fun with our Keystone Cooperative families.
3. It was a HUGE pot of soup that I've had for lunch each day during this chilly week.
4. We had an excuse to eat white bread--garlic breadsticks. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds yummy! That IS a lot of stuff so I imagine it made quite a bit. ;)

(I'm going to have to look up julienne or whatever that word was! haha!)

Jenn said...

Do you think I actually julienned the way it was supposed to have been done? NO! I improvised with a vegetable peeler!